DashFest JJ's life and project dumping grounds…

1Jan/1313

Garmin Nuvi GPS Pin Brute Force Cracking Robot

I spent the entire day today working on this beast:

A little while ago I picked up a nice Garmi Nuvi 780 at a freight recovery auction. Its protected by a pin code, that cannot be reset unless either the correct code is entered, or it is taken to its "safe location".
I have seen a couple of other people do brute force cracks on these, and decided to give it a shot.

Entirely built from junk I had laying around, starting with an HP scanner. I don't have the hardware laying around to drive the stock stepper motor, so i decided to use servos instead. On top of the scanner's sled is a gutted DVD drive. 2 servo's for X and Y, and a 3rd servo for pushing a pencil eraser stylus onto the screen. I didn't have servo horns, so I used clothes pins instead. Most everything is hot glued together. Its all run by an Arduino Nano.

The code counts from 0000 to 9999, waiting for the appropriate delay between each attempt. At this rate, it will take about 36-40hrs to go through each pin.

Here it is in action:

That's about it. I'll report back when I find the pin!

UPDATE!
That was quick, it was 0248. Only took a couple of hours!

Info update:
The robot does not currently have any check procedure to see if the device unlocked and will continue to pound the screen even after it unlocks. I figured this may not be a problem, and let it run. I had plans to add a camera to monitor its progress if this does not work or re-locks the device.
Coincidentally, I went downstairs to check on its progress about 2 hrs in, and I witnessed the unlock with my own eyes!

Update:
Here's the code (not cleaned up): http://www.dashfest.com/garmincrack.txt

Filed under: Life Leave a comment

22 comments on “Garmin Nuvi GPS Pin Brute Force Cracking Robot

1. Pingback: Brute forcing a GPS PIN | Daily IT News on it news..it news..

2. Pingback: Brute forcing a GPS PIN | Siecurity.com

3. How is the success or failure of each attempt determined? Just sit next to it and watch?

4. Nice! How did you detect when the pin was accepted?

Also you made hackaday.

5. Blixem on said:

I love the way this is put together with things you had laying around. Two thumbs up!!

6. It currently does not have a “check” for unlock. I added a little more info to the post to explain.

7. Pingback: – Brute forcing a GPS PIN

8. Nice! Rube Goldberg would be very proud!

9. ty tower on said:

How would you build a check ? Can it be built into the code?
    Does the number screen disappear when the right pin goes in.
    Check at least each hour and write down what its up to then if it goes off you can limit the code to what it might have been that hour

10. ty tower on said:

Can you link the code ?

11. Pingback: Brute forcing a GPS PIN | Cool Internet Projects

12. Pingback: Real brute force na Garmin Nuvi 780 ← techfreak.pl

13. That’s cool. I am pleased to watch this. Thanks for sharing this as well as the video. can you share the code?

14. I just uploaded the code. Its messy, but works

15. Pingback: Brute forcing a GPS PIN | Orange Claymore Red Slime

16. ty tower on said:

thanks mate

17. elerepair on said:

Brad on January 5, 2013 at 9:27 am said:

I assume it just does it’s job, until you stop it.
    unit unlocks, and shows home screen, rest of the *touches* are just not important. Come back later, check on it, if its open.

BR

18. Pingback: Cracker un code pin de GPS Garmin | In'Geek

19. Pingback: Garmin Nuvi GPS Pin Brute Force Cracking Robot « DashFest | Digital Electronics & DIY | Scoop.it

20. Peter Hurst on said:

Rather than using a camera to unlock maybe using a mic would be easier as from memory I think there’s only a beep on unsuccessful pin.

21. Pingback: Brute forcing a GPS PIN

22. chung on said:

Just wondering how you connected the arduino. I am thinking of making one too for cracking my garmin nuvi!