Lots of things fixed on the bike so far:
- New triple tree clamp.
- New levers.
- New grips and throttle twist. (Had the wrong one installed)
- New ram air ducts, and boots.
- Made a new bracket for the front brake reservoir.
- Fixed the choke (creatively).
- Fixed the passenger seat lock release cable.
- New right passenger peg.
- Removed the ghetto mirror and front blinker relocation. Will be putting on flush mount blinkers.
- Knocked the bondo plugs out of the original blinker mount holes on the fairings.
- Spent 2 hours restoring the hacked up front harness to new condition, then Penny destroyed it. (Gotta get another now)
- Removed all the ghetto taillight/plate bracket crap. (This was especially Ghettofabulous!)
- Began attempt of stripping the paint off the windsheild with DOT4 brake fluid. I hear it doesnt harm plastic.
- Replaced numerous missing bolts holding plastics together.
- Some cleaning.
- Its also now temp registered, insured, and new title arrived.
Still plenty to do, but getting closer. Waiting on many parts still. I took the bike for a longer couple of rides. Runs amazingly well dispite the cosmetic abuse!
I pulled the carbs, and cleaned them Saturday, but it still didnt run right. I noticed there is a vacuum line coming off the #3 intake manifold with nothing hooked up. I plug the line and it revs SOMEWHAT better. There is also another disconnected vacuum "T" underneith the carbs. Connected them together, and it revs out fine now.
Take it for a spin, and it still isnt right... Missing a lot, and mostly running on 3 cyl. Pulled the coils and made sure they were clean/dry.... No go.
The vacuum lines that I connected together didnt fit snug, and I had a feeling that these dont connect together. I look in the manual, and find the line coming off the intake actually goes to the bottom of the fuel petcock, as its vacuum actuated. However the nipple is broken off the valve! The next day I realized the bottom half of the petcock looks VERY similar to the one on my old 82' GS750EZ. I had a couple of spares, and I removed the bottom to see if it fits the gixxer's valve. Not quite, the holes were off by about a half a MM. Drilled the holes out slightly bigger and it fit. Screwed it onto the gixxer's valve, and tested using my breath. It works! Put the tank back on.
That sorted out the fuel valve, but I still didnt know where the T junction vacuum connector goes that comes off a pair of solenoids on the bottom of the carbs. The manual does NOT mention these! After some looking around I see a drain on the bottom of the airbox that has a small hole at the bottom. Bingo, that isnt a drain, its where the vacuum hooks up.
Took it for another spin, and it now runs GREAT!!
Now I just need to take care of the cosmetics, and a few other things. I've already ordered about $250 worth of parts on ebay to get started.
Hmmm, whats this hiding behind my truck's grill?
Its the Hadley "The Bully" Air horn kit I picked up @ the DI for $25!
Included the Compressor, Tank, Solenoid, switches, etc.
My horn now sounds like a semi truck
Well today I finally got a hold of a guy on craigslist that was advertising "GSXR Project Bike, Needs work" No price, year, model, or contact info. After a couple of days of emailing, I find its a 2000 GSXR 600 that he cant get started after it sat all winter. I finally get a phone number, and tells me $350 if I take it today :O
I head to Park City right after work, stopping @ an ATM on the way. When I get there, the douchfag raises the price to $400! "Dude, I gotta get $400 cus my Bro will give me $500". I stuck to my guns, and managed to get it for $357 (gave him an extra $7 in my wallet).
Here it is on the way home:
The whole bike is hacked up bad. Wiring, just about everything cosmetic, blinkers, exhaust, everything is bad shape. Blinkers are screwed in on the sides of the plastics in the wrong spot, top triple tree clamp has huge holes on it, etc. etc. etc.
After unloading I go straight to work. Ignition comes on, but no crank. So I take a jumper cable and jump the battery straight to the starter. It now cranks, but still no life. Pulled up the tank and yanked the airbox. Manually choke the carbs with my hand, and there is fuel, but still no fire. Pulled a plug, no spark. Started poking around the wiring. The wiring on this thing is hacked up pretty bad. But I did find a burned fuse! After jumping the fuse, I hear a relay click, and the fuel pump kick on. Bingo! Spark! I throw the plug back in and it fired right up! Runs like CRAP but it runs. Carbs need rebuilt badly, but luckily I have a spare engine with carbs for parts! (I have a 98 GSXR600 motor that was going to be a kart project, but it never happened)
I even took it for a quick spin tonight, and it rides good!
Here is a quick video:
Still LOTS of work to do!